Microgreens became popular in the eighties when chefs from San Francisco began using them as garnishes on their restaurant dishes. Fast forward many years to when we realised they are no longer just pretty garnishes - but nutritional powerhouses, that we can all benefit from including in our daily diet.
As well as adding nutritional content, microgreens can boost color, enhance flavor, and add texture to any dish (as well as immediately elevate to ‘fancy’ status). Here are some easy ways to use microgreens:
- As a garnish on just about any meal! Works great on salads, soups, flatbreads or pizzas
- Add a nutritional boost to juices and smoothies. Use varieties like Pak Choi and Broccoli if you want a more neutral flavour.
- Blend into sauces like pestos and chimichurris for some added flavour and nutrients
- As a side micro-salad to any main dish
- Microgreens and eggs are undoubtedly best friends! Add them to your eggs - any style. The sharp microgreen flavours really compliment the neutral flavour canvas of the eggs.
- As an alternative to lettuce: in tacos or a burger or sandwich (also works great in sushi and rice paper rolls!)
- You could even dehydrate microgreens then blend it to make it a powder to use in baking
The options are endless! Do you use microgreens in a way that's not listed here? Let us know in the comments below - we love to hear your creative culinary uses!